April 27, 2011

Dermatofibrosarcoma Protuberans... Say what!!!

     Growing up we all wish to be the same as our best friends, then we learn that it's awesome to be different. About a month ago I never thought I was different, I don't have anything unusual or any hidden talents but I learned that I AM different (only 29 years later). I was diagnosed with Dermatofibrosarcoma Protuberans (DFSP), you maybe thinking what the heck is that, well I will tell you. DFSP  is an uncommon tumor that arises in the skin. The tumor is firm and often flesh-colored although it can be reddish, bluish, or purplish. The tumor is often found on the chest or shoulders, but it can be found on other parts of the body.  Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans may cause no symptoms, and the initial size of the tumor tends to be around 1 to 5 centimeters and only a 2% chance of being cancerous. This tumor has a low potential to spread to other tissues. Treatment often involves surgery to remove the tumor, such  Mohs’micrographic surgery

      My surgery was scheduled for April 26 at 9:00 AM. I was scared only because they do not put you out for this type of surgery. Waiting for the doctor to come back and talk to us about what is going to happen we quickly learned that the 4-5 inch scar I was going to have was not true. Unfortunately, this is worse than what we were initially told. After all is done, I will have a hole in my chest, the size of a .50 cent piece. Once Dr. Hadley said that, my face went white. After learning about what is going to take place, I asked the doctor if I would be healed for our vacation to Maui in 2 weeks. To make a long story short, we had to reschedule my MOHS surgery for May 24 at 7:30 am. I will have a hole in my chest and a plastic surgeon will now be involved. Needles to say I was mentally prepared to get this tumor out yesterday now I have to wait another 4 weeks, oh well I waited 4 years to get it looked at what's another couple of weeks. It's sad to say this but as much as I am hating and dreading this upcoming surgery, it could be worse.