February 8, 2011

Big Black Oak @ Willow Creek

     Growing up my brother and I always wished we had a dog, I can't remember why we were never allowed to get one but instead we always ended up with having fish (that never lasted long in our house) and two sweet rabbits that lived a long life. After seeing the death of our two rabbits I told myself that I never wanted to see another one of my animals die, I never wanted another pet. My last couple of years in elementary school we had some new neighbors move in, the Oliver's, we soon discovered they had a black lab name Sabol (not sure about the spelling). Sabol was the most beautiful black lab one would ever see. My brother and I would go over to the Oliver's and play with him, he was an awesome dog. Eric decided that he wanted a black lab of his own, so he went behind my dad's back (my mom was all for it) and bought a black lab. I specifically remember the night Oakley was brought home. Eric had this little 8 week old puppy in his coat, his head sticking out with dark eyes and you could only see the White's of his eyes. Instantly my mother and I fell in love. From that moment on, I never knew how much love I had for that puppy. Oakley was the BEST dog ever, I'm not kidding. The first night Eric brought him home, he ran to the back door and barked to go out. He never went in the house, it's like he was instantly potty trained. As the years go on, Oakley gets older and more awesome. Some of Oakley's favorite things are:
  • Sucking on his blanket
  • Running
  • Jumping and chasing after his ball
  • Going on runs and walks
  • Swimming
  • Getting wet in his pool
  • Loves anything water (he could even smell water)
and his #1 favorite thing that made him happy through out his life is his best friend Eric. Every time he saw or someone said Eric's name, Oakley would get excited so excited that he sometimes would tinkle. Oakley had two hip and throat surgeries and hated I mean HATED going to the vet. Thinking back of the years we had Oakley, he brought many tears (when he would nip at us) and so much excitement in our lives. The past 3 years, my family saw a huge decline in Oakley's health, his age was finally catching up to him. He went from a healthy 90 pounds down to an unhealthy 50 pounds. We lost our best friend and brother from another mother on December 19, 2010. Oakley was 15 years when we put him down and there is not a day that goes by that we think of him and miss him dearly. We hope Oakley is having the time of his life chasing after his ball, running and swimming. We will always love you and never forget about you Oakers!!!




To all you animal lovers out there who lost your best friend:

     "Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge. When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable. All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
     They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster. You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.
Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together...."